Sunday, August 16, 2015

Something is NOT rotten in the state of Denmark, actually, its quite delicious!

Saturday May 9th I got the chance to sleep in while Grandma and SM went to an anniversary breakfast. Apparently in Denmark, it tradition for the friends and family of a couple to wake them up with music and decorations the morning of their 25th wedding anniversary. I thought it was a very cute tradition, but because I didn't know the family very well, I didn't want to impose, so I made the sacrifice to stay at home and sleep in.


Once Grandma and SM came home to pick me up, we got in the car and headed to the Frilandsmuseet or the Open Air Museum. This museum is one of the largest and oldest museums in the world! The entire museum covers 40 hectares of open land (1 hectares= 2.47 acres) and had buildings laid throughout all of this open land. However, these buildings were not like the ones you and I see today, no, many of these buildings are centuries old were refurbished by very skilled artists. These buildings were brought from all over Scandinavia and reassembled brick by brick to sit in these 40 hectares. 



Unfortunately I didn't take these pictures, I pulled them off the internet. But I wanted to give you a general idea about what the buildings looked like.


I even made GM and SM pose for some pictures:)


They even had some live stock living on the grounds. 


This horse didn't like me very much, once I approached it, it turned its back on me. RUDE!



They had two windmills on the grounds, this one was the more impressive one.

We spent a couple of hours there enjoying the cool weather until it started to rain. We then headed inside the restaurant and had some lunch. (I, of course, had some delicious fish and chips!)(Just goes to show that you can get decent fish and chips outside of the UK) 

On our way back home we stopped at the market to pick up a Danish treat (I don't remember what it was, but it was triangle and something I didn't like it too much) and we also stopped at the Turkish market for SM to get some cheap Marabou (Swedish Chocolate). And because we were already so close, we made our way over to the Danish temple which unfortunately was closed:/ But I still got some pictures anyway. 



Once we piled back in the car we drove to another island, Amager, to go to a tasty gelato shop that SM and GM were bragging about. It was called Ismageriet and let me tell you it was AMAZING. 


Let me tell you, if you are ever in Denmark and want to try the best Gelato every, go to this place! I think it was better than the Gelato I had in Italy, and I did try quite a few places! 


We made our way back home to snack on chocolate and pastries for dinner and played some more Nines (in which GM and I kicked SM's butt!). Once again my favorite part was listening to SM complain about one move or another that lead him to failure. We didn't last long, GM and SM had had an early morning and I was pretty tired from all the sugar I'd eaten, so we turned in for the night. 

The next morning was Sunday and Mother's Day and I was excited to be able to go to a different ward where they spoke in a different language. (Plus I was really excited to see if there were any cute guys there). Church was only 2 1/2 hours long and had only been changed to that recently. It was a small ward and I think a reason they shortened it was because there were only so many times people in that ward could speak in sacrament or in lessons. So they shortened it to make it easier. 

During sacrament, a lady in the ward had signed up to translate and was handing out headphones that were connected to a mic she held in her hand and spoke into while she translated. There were a few speakers as normal, but what wasn't normal was that one of the speakers was a girl about 8 or 9 years old I felt and one of the others was a member of the Bishopric. 

Thankfully, the Sunday School lesson was given in English by one of the young adults in the ward. It was a small class which included: GM, SM, the teacher, two visitors from somewhere else in Denmark and a young man who had grown up in San Tan, but had moved to Denmark a few years ago. (I think it was something to do with his parents?) Relief Society was taught by a beautiful young woman who, I was told by GM, used to be a ballerina and you could tell. (Not in a bad why of course, but dancers always move with such grace and poise, something I wish I had.) She taught about the Book of Mormon. This lesson was also in Danish, but the same lady who translated Sacrament meeting also translated Relief Society. 

After church, we headed home to have a light lunch a relax a bit before heading over to a members house for dinner where we had a typical Danish meal. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of the dishes, I do know there was some Salmon, two types of salads and some potatoes while dessert was a tasty raspberry treat. The couple who hosted were a cute older couple who had invited their son and pregnant wife over as well. We ended up spending several hours there, the husband of the older couple kept trying to set me up with different young men he knew from his ward. After dinner it was a 30 minute drive home where I kept dozing in the backseat and then finally off to bed!

The next morning was quite a lazy day. Grandma's hip and back were bothering her, so we decided to rest up for our long journey to the center in the afternoon for FHE. I spent my time reading while GM  did her Danish homework and worked on a lesson she was going to give on Thursday night. Around noon we had lunch and prepared to leave to go to the center. Thankfully, this time we didn't have to prepare any meals. We arrived at about 5:00 and I continued to read while GM and SM went over her Danish homework. 

They were really quite cute, I couldn't quite hear all they were saying, but let me tell you there was quite a bit of laughter and smiling going on. All in all I'm not sure how much homework got done;)

Because it was May, lessons were winding down, so instead of having a full lesson, they just had a discussion about what they would like to learn about in the summer months. There were suggestions written all over the board as different kids put in their input. Thankfully, a young man translated the discussion for me while he inputed some suggestions himself. Quite the multi-tasker. 

After an hour or so we went on a walk around the area as our activity. The walk lasted about 20 minutes or so, while the whole time I ended up talking to some of the missionaries who were there. They were elders from the US, so we had a fun time talking about what it was like living in a different country. (Let me tell you their experience was so much different than mine!) 

After the walk, we returned to some of the kids gathering around and playing games. I found out that there was even an old SET game stashed away which I pulled out and started to sort through. Thankfully, the adults didn't stay very long and we were heading home by 10:30. Once we got home, we changed into PJ's pulled out some chocolate and sat down to play some Nines:D

Tuesday, May 12th we were in a bit of a rush to get certain things done. Grandma and I went on a walking tour of the city using the app called Strayboots, a fun scavenger hunt that takes you around the city and gives you a bit of background that you wouldn't originally see. We ended up over by the Parliament building and took a picture in the guard's station. 


It's kind of hard to see, but on the right side above my head, is a cut out heart in the wood panel. I don't remember the reason why, but a heart was a big symbol in Denmark. 

Unfortunately, we were unable to go inside all of the places that the tour took us to. We were in a bit of a rush to get everything done so that I could make my plane on time at 4. But we did manage to stop in a famous cake shop which has been making cakes for the Royal Family for hundreds of years. 



I ended up with a tasty chocolate treat while Grandma got something she'd never had before. It was tasty and HUGE! as you can see from the pictures. 

On the way back to the flat, it started to rain pretty hard and we knew that we'd have to pull out the umbrella to go to the train station. We had about 20 minutes before we had to head out again, so I got the chance to toss my jacket into the dryer for a bit to try and remove some of the dampness that had settled in on our way home. 

We ended up leaving to the train station around 2:15, that way I would be on time and so that Grandma could ride the train on her senior pass before 3. We said our goodbyes before I took off to security and made my way back to the gate that would take me home to England. While I enjoyed my time immensely with Grandma and SM, I was ready to be home and not have to live out of a suitcase for sometime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment